Assistant Watch Leader at Götheborg
This position is now filled and the position is closed for applications.
Assistant Watch Leader (non-paid position) at the ship Götheborg
Join our team and be part of a unique sailing expedition! This year we will head out on our big expedition to Asia, and we are looking for Assistant Watch Leaders to sail the world’s largest wooden sailing ship Götheborg!
The ship Götheborg is a unique replica of an 18th century trade ship with the same name. To work and sail on the ship is a once in a lifetime opportunity to be part of an exciting project and adventure, in an environment full of passion, creativity and drive.
During 2022 and 2023 Götheborg will embark on a great expedition to Europe and Asia – a truly unique expedition. The ship will leave Gothenburg in the beginning of June 2022 and will sail in Europe during the summer and autumn. She will stay in the Mediterranean during the winter and continue her voyage and arrive in Asia in 2023.
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for Assistant Watch Leaders with a passion for sailing on traditional ships, and that have the ambition to become a Watch Leader on square rigged ships in the future. We prefer that you have experience of square rigged sailing ships. It will be of advantage if you have sailed on Götheborg before.
You need to have a medical certificate (issued in a EU or EEA member state) for seagoing personnel, a valid basic safety certificate and a seaman’s book. Furthermore, we prefer you to have a certificate of security awareness or designated security duties. It’s of advantage if you also have a certificate of competence as a Rating deck or Able seaman.
In addition to the above we are looking for passionate and positive minded sailors that have a flexible personality and good communication skills. You must be able to guide a watch of 17 deckhands and be able to communicate in English. Additional language knowledge is of advantage!
During sailing an Assistant Watch Leader must:
- Organize watch schedules and make sure the watch is prepared for their duties.
- Assist the Watch Leader in leading the watch in sail maneuvers and daily work.
- Assist the Watch Leader in teaching the watch.
- Lookout and other duties on the bridge as instructed by the Officer on Watch, when applicable.
- Ensure that any loose equipment is properly stowed and secured.
- Carry out maintenance according to Planned Maintenance System as per work orders.
- When on watch in port: Check moorings and gangway, duties according to Ship Security Plan (ISPS) if applicable.
What do we offer?
The Assistant Watch Leader is an educational position for people with the ambition to become a Watch Leader on square rigged ships. We will provide education and training on the job. During sailing you will get a taskbook, which you can use to keep track of your progress.
We offer a positive and unique working environment in which good team spirit and collaboration with your colleagues are important values.
Please note that this is a non-paid position. We would like you to be available for at least 4 weeks in a row, preferably more (up to 6 to 8 weeks). Although you won’t get any salary, we will pay travel expenses to and from the ship.
Does this sound interesting?
Do you want to be part of our team, this exciting journey and the unique experience of sailing the world’s largest wooden sailing ship? Please register via our website and leave your contact details together with your cover letter and resume. Our selection process will start immediately. To become part of the first crew to start the expedition, please make sure to register before the 1st of March.
- If you have applied for a position at Götheborg before, press "Apply for position" below.
- If you have not applied for a position at Götheborg before, please read through "How to apply" before pressing "Apply for position".