Are you interested in volunteering at Götheborg during our maintenance period? We are now looking for a few volunteers who have sailed with us recently and are willing to stay with us for 6-8 weeks.
Asia Expedition 2022/2023
Volunteer at Götheborg of Sweden in Barcelona during her maintenance stopover!
Are you interested in Volunteering at Götheborg during her maintenance stop in Barcelona? We now offer a limited amount of volunteer positions for people of 18 years and older!
Photo: Linda Åkerberg/Wilderness Stories
As a volunteer, you get the chance to pick up knowledge about traditional materials and learn craftsmanship on board. What is required to keep an 18th-century ship in good shape? What materials were used at that time, and what is used today? How is a lashing made? The tasks varied and can revolve around anything from taring ropes, scraping the hull, to working in the rigging. But also help in the galley (kitchen) and so on.
What does it mean to volunteer?
Unlike sailing along as a deckhand, you don’t pay to volunteer. The work as a volunteer is unpaid, but you get full board and, not to forget, a great and friendly group of people to hang out with.
- All meals are included. This also includes morning and afternoon fika.
- A bunk or hammock to sleep in on board (note that you won't have a separate cabin, but sleep in a space together with other people).
- Washing machines and driers.
- Guitars and board games for the evenings, film nights can be arranged.
- A great group of people and a nice and welcoming atmosphere.
- Be prepared to do whatever maintenance that is going on at the moment.
- Maintenance can happen inside the ship, outside of the hull and in the rig, high aloft.
- Ship life includes galley- and cleaning work.
- Be able to enter the rig at high heights.
Want more information?
Read more about what it means to volunteer. What we asko of you and what you get in return. About the work schedule and how to apply.
Summer is over and the maintenance of our beloved ship is in need of some extra pair of hands! If you have time to spend, and love the dark and musky fragrance of tar?
Good news! We will extend the period that we are open to visitors in Eriksberg, Gothenburg. All through September 2023, we will stay open for guided tours on weekends. Opening hours will be 11:00–16:00 and tours will leave once an hour. Welcome on board the world's largest ocean-going wooden sailing ship!